The Paleo Diet Rules And The Things You Must Know About It
In recent years society has seen an increase in obesity and other nutrition-related health conditions due to the rise in processed food products. The majority of people are now eating convenience meals and fast foods high in saturated fats, instead of maintaining healthier diets with organic vegetables and fruits. This is possibly due to the increased prices of more nutritional products, but it can also be based on the attraction of ‘tastier’ MSG-infused food items.
While there are those who eat unhealthy foods and remain fit by exercising, there are also individuals who maintain poor diets and poor lifestyles. Currently, there are numerous treatments available to help the latter group of individuals avoid detrimental consequences of this poor lifestyle. Below is information on the popular paleo diet and paleo diet rules.
What is the paleo diet?
The paleo diet is an alternative dietary treatment that helps increase the number of nutrients within the body. The diet is based on the dietary structure our ancestors would have consumed, for example anything that would have been hunted or foraged. This nutritional treatment has strict paleo diet rules and in order to make the body stronger you must adhere to the precise food list. Food products that can be consumed include fruits, nuts, vegetables, free range meat and seafood.
How does the paleo diet work?
As is mentioned there are strict paleo diet rules that one must follow. Traditionally, it is assumed that consuming carbohydrates is the primary means of turning a body into a ‘fat burning machine’; however, research into the paleo diet has shown that this is not altogether true. When using the paleo diet, it is necessary that one consumes a minimal amount of simple carbohydrates in order to maintain the insulin levels in the body while still being beneficial for effective functioning of the body. It is important to understand that not all carbohydrates are equal in a diet and they will differ in the glycemic index.
How does one adapt to the paleo diet?
The paleo diet or caveman diet requires a drastic change in one’s dietary structure and overall lifestyle, and here are some tips on the different paleo diet rules.
– Firstly, always increase the amount of protein and fiber intake as compared to other food products during a meal. Examples of protein can include grass-fed and free ranging meat.
– Next, when choosing fruits and vegetables as part of a meal always choose foods rich in anti-oxidants, vitamins and minerals. You should also consider the amount of phytochemicals in the plants and increase the intake of these as they can be beneficial to the body.
– Always include a good fat intake from natural oils such as olives, avocados and walnuts in your meals.
– Try and lower the levels of sodium found in the meal and increase the amount of potassium-rich food products.
– Finally, avoid all processed foods, dairy products and starchy vegetables completely as these will counteract the effects of the paleo diet.
As can be seen, the paleo diet is a difficult one to follow; however, with the correct information it can be less daunting and very beneficial.
If you want to make your life much easier when following this diet a good cookbook and a step-by-step diet plan are always recommended.
You can also take a look at the quick and informative video below which explains the paleo diet rules and its basics in simple words.
We hope that you learned a thing or two here and we wish you the best!
Chris and Jordan